Due to registry price increases for .org (Public Interest Registry) and .biz (Neustar), our new price for these TLDs will be:
- .org $11.50
- .biz $11.60
News, Announcements, and Status Updates
We’ve added some new dedicated server options to our lineup:
All include IPMI 2.0 support with virtual media and KVM, placing you in total control of your dedicated server. You can even install your own OS remotely! See our dedicated server page on the main website for details.
We’ve released a minor update to our Dynamic DNS client to support IPv6. We’ve been working on this on and off for the last few months but didn’t really put any kind of rush on it because we didn’t believe that there was any demand for such a service.
Today though a question about IPv6 enabled dynamic DNS services came up on the ipv6-ops list, so we went ahead and finished it up for public consumption. It’s still business as usual for everyone using it for IPv4 dynamic DNS, but now there’s an IPv6 option. See the documentation for details. We have not added an AAAA record to acc.rollernet.us, so while there is auto-detect code for IPv6 clients in our Dynamic DNS client, there’s no way to take advantage of it just yet.
If anyone actually uses it for its IPv6 support we’d be interested in your feedback.
We have a new customer who wanted to customize one of our dedicated servers for use as a router. The Atom boards we use for dedicated servers have an on-board USB port, but it faces up towards the top of the case, severely limiting the size of the USB flash drive you can plug in to it within a 1U chassis. After some searching we were able to find a 4GB flash drive that fit in the space available (after freeing it from its outer case) and installed Vyatta on it.
Since it’s booting off of the flash drive plugged into the internal USB port we also removed the hard drive from the case. It does not touch the top of the case with the cover installed and there’s enough clearance to account for cover flex.
UPDATE: This worked out quite well so we’ve decided to add it as an option.
An issue with a customer’s IPv6 access was brought to our attention this morning. After some basic testing, it was apparent the traceroutes were stopping at our Global Crossing PE router (provider side) and we opened a trouble ticket with them to investigate.
A few hours later we discovered that the RIPE website was unreachable. Although the traceroute out indicated it was leaving our network via Sprint, we suspected the return traffic was trying to reach us via Global Crossing. After withdrawing our route announcements to GC we were able to reach RIPE and the customer who origionally brought the issue to our attention.
As this time we are waiting for a resolution on our trouble ticket with Global Crossing regarding this issue.
UPDATE [2011-03-06]: Global Crossing acknowledges that some recent MPLS changes in their network had caused our IPv6 to be null routed. They reverted the most recent changes and connectivity was restored. We will continue to monitor the situation.